Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Why College?

           I decided to come to college because it seemed to be a doorway of opportunities for me. All my life I knew I needed to go to college, it wasn't an option. When I finally turned 18 I started having doubts about college. I wondered if it was the right decision, I already had a job and I felt as if going to college was leaving my family behind. But I was reassured by my family that going to college was the best thing I could do. Even if I could do nothing more than have a job and a home of my own so they don't have to support me.

           I specifically chose Converse College because I spoke to the Dean of the Arts (possibly another dean I can't really remember) and he told me to follow my dreams. If performing was what I wanted to do I should chase that dream. Because of him I decided to come here. After coming for my audition, I met some really cool people who I really thought genuinely cared about the school and wanted to share the "AMAZING" with other people. I remember going to other colleges (which I won't name) and when high school students came on a tour of campus the college students would "hide" or leave or make rude comments behind your back. But when I came to Converse everyone said they loved the school, I only found one person who said they didn't like it, and she said that because she didn't like the food. I love the general atmosphere around here and I hope it stays this way.

            I decided to study music in college at Converse because I do love all kinds of music especially when I sing or play the piano. When I can just be by myself and play anything that sound good to me and not feel fear or stress is the best feeling in the world. I always knew I was going to go to college for music, it runs in my family (my grandma conducted and sang and was a private piano teacher, my dad played in bands (harmonica), my sister plays violin and sings). I specifically chose converse because of the Dean (as I stated above) and the outstanding quality of the music program here.

             If I was a muppet I would be a musical muppet, I would probably be big and clunky (like Animal) and I would probably be a piano playing muppet. I would probably be crazy like Swedish Chef and no one could understand me because I spend so much time talking to myself about stuff no one else really cares about. :] Also I probably would not play the banjo, if I was talented enough to I would, but strings confuse me because I can't figure out where to put my fingers. :{

~Elsie

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to Converse and our SSS class, Elsie! I'm guessing that it WAS the Dean of the School of Arts (Richard Higgs) who you talked with here--he believes very much in folks following their dreams. And I'm glad your family talked you into attending college--even if it doesn't lead you directly to a career, it will change you and your outlook on the world in ways you can't even begin to imagine.

    A few suggestions for the blog: be sure to proofread really well, and pay special attention to your use of punctuation (especially commas). If you're not sure if something is correct or not, look it up or ask a friend (preferrably one who is really good with punctuation!)

    And there IS a muppet that plays the piano: Rowlf the Dog. He's a favorite of mine. Oh!--and the choir at the camp I teach at during the summer sang a song that was specifically in homage to the Swedish Chef. I should see if there's a youtube of it....

    And again, Welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and one more small thing: usually you signify a new paragraph by either indenting OR leaving a blank line between your two paragraphs. Don't do both--it's overkill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so neat how talking to the Dean confirmed your choice of Converse. When I visited other schools, the same thing kind of happened to me. I love how you shared about your family. Music doesn't really run in my family so I find that really cool. You could totally rock a piano playing muppet, too!

    ReplyDelete